Pep Band Prepares for Basketball Season

Olivia Eckert

After many practices, the Emporia High Pep Band is ready to begin performing for the 2022-2023 basketball season. Their first performance will be during the home basketball game against Hayden High School on January 3.

With the first performance within reach, the pep band members are excited to begin another season. For seniors Brayden Morgan who plays trombone, Abigail Spellman playing clarinet, and Jazmin Murillo Espinoza who plays alto saxophone, this will be their third and final season. Due to COVID, the pep band season was canceled for their sophomore year.

“My favorite part of pep band is knowing how much the crowd appreciates our presence and how much we add to the gameday atmosphere,” Morgan said.

“I love playing really upbeat music during basketball games,” Spellman said.

For a few pep band members, this will be their first season. Freshman Maren Stewart, a bass drum player on the drumline, is excited about the coming season.

“My favorite thing about pep band is getting to have the student section interact with our music,” Stewart said.

Throughout the many seasons of the pep band, many of the members have found their personal favorite songs.

“My favorite song to play during pep band is ‘Timber,’” Murillo said.

Favorite songs of the band members include the band arrangements of popular songs including “Timber” by Pitbull featuring Ke$ha, “Handclap” by Fitz and the Tantrums, as well as  “Locked Out of Heaven” and “Runaway Baby” by Bruno Mars.