MacKay Nominated As EHS Master Teacher

Mya Meinke

On Wednesday, September 14, Honors Chemistry and Honors Physical Science teacher, Martha MacKay was announced as the 2022 Emporia Master Teacher Candidate.

MacKay was surprised by this nomination which was announced during a faculty meeting. 

“I felt shocked, overwhelmed but honored to be nominated as the Emporia Kansas Master Teacher nominee,” MacKay said.

She has taught for a total of 19 years, seven of those years at EHS. She is also an adjunct professor at Flint Hills Technical College. 

MacKay has worked hard in the classroom to receive this nomination. 

“There are so many things that I could list here, from presenting at conferences and teacher professional development, to mentoring new teachers at Hartford and at Emporia High School but honestly my primary focus is on being the best teacher I can be for my students.  I continue to monitor, adapt, and change my teaching strategies to accommodate what my students need from me.  I pour all I have into my classroom,” she said. 

One of MacKay’s biggest focuses in the classroom is that the students are first and that they should challenge themselves. 

“My favorite part of teaching is when students realize that they can do hard things and they develop confidence in their own abilities.  Every day that students are learning is my favorite day,” MacKay said. 

The passion MacKay has for teaching and seeing students grow has truly shown and is one of the many reasons she received this nomination. The next step will be for MacKay to fill out an application for Kansas Master Teacher.